terça-feira, 17 de outubro de 2017

CANON DODGSON to his son LEWIS CARROLL, 8 years old


...I will not forget your commission. As soon as I get to Leeds I shall scream out in the middle of the street, Ironmongers – Ironmongers – Six hundred men will rush out of their shops in a moment – fly, fly, in all directions – ring the bell, call the constables – set the town on fire. I will have a file & a screw-driver, & a ring, & if they are not brought directly, in forty seconds I will leave nothing but a small cat alive in the whole town of Leeds, and I shall only leave that, because I am afraid I shall not have time to kill it.

Then what a bawling & a tearing of hair there will be! Pigs & babies, camels & butterflies, rolling in the gutter together – old women rushing up the chimneys & cows after them – ducks hiding themselves in coffee cups, & fat geese trying to squeeze themselves into pencil cases – at last the Mayor of Leeds will be found in a soup plate covered up with custard & stuck full of almonds to make him look like a sponge cake that he may escape the dreadful destruction of the Town…

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário